Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Girly Carousel

My inspiration for this project came from my younger sister, who at age 11, is starting to need more space for all her make-up, polishes, lotions, etc... You get the idea, she is starting accumulate more and more items that are more "tween" and less little girl.

With a bunch of random items we turned them into the ultimate, girly carousel!
 
Not sure if you can tell by the picture, but that awesome lazy susan my mom had laying in a yard sale tote.  I found a set of oven burner covers, with that awesome fruit design; a small votive holder from Dollar General ($1.50); a tall candle holder, which came black, from the Dollar General ($3.00); and a .97 can of black spray paint from good ole' Wal Mart. 
 

I also picked up that small candy dish (pictured above) for .99 from the Salvation Army to use as a "tier."  As you can see from the final pictures, I spray painted it black to match everything else.
 
To get this project started I lightly sanded the lazy susan with a sanding block, so that the paint would lay nice and even and that any dirt/grime would be gone.
 
Once I got sick of sanding, I gathered everything up to be spray painted black.  I envisioned a black/white/girly color theme going on; complete with glitter and rhinestones. ((is there any other way for an 11 year old?!))
 
 
I painted the lazy susan, the candy dish and the oven burner covers, twice.  Between coats I let them completely dry.  For whatever reason the burner covers didn't want to spray evenly-- be patient if you use them!!  Let the coats of paint dry and have a "light hand" when painting them. 
 
After everything had its final coat of black paint and was dry I quickly clear coated them to hopefully ward off any future chipping.  I love Valspar's (from Lowe's) matte clear coat.
 
 
Now while the clear coat was drying on everything, I warmed up my "hardcore" glue gun and dug through my craft bin for all my sparkly and glitter-y add-ons I could find.  I managed to pull out some heart-shaped glitter tape (which was purchased from Michael's) and some rhinestone sticks (also from Michael's).
 
I started gluing the pieces together--
If you can't tell, I glued the burner covers together.  If you aren't aware, you get a 4-pack when you buy them; 2 one size and 2 the other smaller size.  That gave the carousel a nice "ledge" so that anything placed on the upper levels wouldn't wall off. 
 
I glued the candle holder to the "base" lazy susan, then took the larger burners and glued them on top of the candle holder. 
 
Next up, I glued the painted candy dish on-top of the large burner covers.   
 
The smaller burner covers were placed on top of the candy dish and glued down.
 
Lastly, I glued the votive candle holder as the last "tier" assuming it would be used for make-up brushes and what-not.
 
If you do decide to make one please make sure that you measure and find the center of each and every level.  Otherwise you will have a lop-sided carousel that spins funny.  Trust me, I am saving you from peeling off half-dried hot glue, which isn't a good time.
 
 
Final product all jazzed up with glitter and sparkles! ;)
 




No comments:

Post a Comment